You know those articles that tell you where to study in Singapore, and 90% of them are really expensive cafes that will kick you out after 2 hours? Below are ten places in Singapore that are…meant for studying/working. While most public libraries…and your school (hint, hint) are probably good choices for you in general, here are other places you can go if you want a change of pace.
SCAPE HubQuarters is a dedicated working space for youths and free to use. At times there will be workshops held, and the space is moved to The News Room within the same compound. Be sure to check whether workshops are being held if you are heading down, but its a great place to study! Located at SCAPE itself, there is plenty of food available when you get hungry, and it is walking distance from Somerset MRT.
- Address: 2 Orchard Link, 237978
- Open Daily EXCEPT Sunday, Hours: Open today · 9AM – 9PM
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/HubQuarters/
2. The Red Box
The Red Box is located near SCAPE and has the same convenience of finding food when you are hungry as SCAPE HubQuarters. Lots of different workshops are held here, but if you come on a day without workshops there is free space and tables for use. Food can be brought in and free wifi is available! The place is generally quieter than HubQuarters, but be sure to check whether workshops are being held on the day itself!
- Address: 113 Somerset Rd, Singapore 238165
- Open Daily, Hours: 10AM–10PM
- Website: https://www.youthcorps.sg/
3. The Study Room
The Study Room is an area dedicated for students to study…and its free. Located at United Square (Novena), the Study Room is a place that fits into the ‘education mall.’ The area is rather spacious at around 600 square feet, but be sure to chope a seat since this place is full of students!
- United Square Shopping Mall Study Room #B1-71
- Open Daily, Hours: 10.30AM – 9.30PM
4. SMU, when you can’t get a seat in NLB
Around the entire SMU campus there are benches that you can use for studying. While there isn’t air-conditioning, there certainly is shelter and a less stiffening vibe that you have in a small space at NLB. The entire campus is huge, and there is definitely a bench for you.
- Address: 81 Victoria St, Singapore 188065
- How to Get There: Nearest MRT: Bras Basah MRT
5. Actually NTU/NUS campuses too
Similar to the above! Don’t worry – you’ll blend right in to the mugger vibes.
- NTU: 50 Nanyang Ave, 639798
- NUS: 21 Lower Kent Ridge Rd, 119077
- Opening Hours: Outdoor facilities – 24 Hours
At the study box, you are able to book a seat (literally chope) to make sure you have a spot online. Like most study areas, it includes printing and lamination services and free wifi. This is an area dedicated for you to do your work! If NLB is too crowded, this is another option for you. Usage is priced at $3.50 for the first hour and $1.50 for subsequent hours, free flow drinks and snacks are priced at $1.
- Study Box (Bugis Village) 67B (level 3) Queen Street, Singapore 188546
- Whatsapp: (+65) 8338 5672
- Website: http://www.thestudybox.com/index.html
- Opens Daily: 9:00 AM – 10:30 PM
The library@esplanade is a library that is tucked away from the mugger crowd. Dedicated to keeping art-related works and books, the library is also a great place to browse and listen to music when you are bored.
- Address: 8 Raffles Ave, 03-01, Singapore 039802
- Opens Daily: 11AM–9PM, Closed on Public Holidays
8. Yale NUS College Library
The Yale NUS College library is available for public use until 6pm every day. There are study areas for use, and is walking distance from NUS High and Nan Hua High School (so there’s no need for you to go to Jurong Public Library). The great thing about this library is that it is tucked in a university campus, making it less prone to large public crowds.
- Address: #01-220, 16 College Avenue West, 138527
- Opens Mon-Fri, 9AM – 6PM
In ‘The Study Area’, you can book 12 hour slots (9am-9pm or 9pm-9am), meaning if you’re looking for somewhere to study overnight, this is the place! The prices vary depending on what time you go in, and you get further discounts if you come with a friend to study!
‘The Study Area’ has two outlets one located near Tai Seng MRT and Kovan MRT. Both are less than ten minutes away from their respective MRT stations.
- Website: http://thestudyarea.com/
- Opening Hours: 24 hours
- Oxley Bizhub – 61 Ubi Road 1 #02-34, Singapore 408727
- Blk 201 Hougang St 21 #01-07 (upper quarter) Singapore 530201
10. Desk Next Door
If ‘The Study Area’ isn’t for you, you can always go down to Desk Next Door at Ang Mo Kio. Unlike The Study Area, there are packages for two and five hours for three dollars and six dollars respectively. You can also book group rentals for you and your friends to book a room! There are lamination, printing, scanning and computer rental services available too!
- Website: http://desknextdoor.com/
- Contact: +65 9139 8167
- Opening Hours: 9AM – 1030PM daily